650,000+ Fans and Followers:    
Advertise | Submit News
Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why is Jay-Z Wearing This Medallion? Does He Believe That White People Are ‘Wicked, Weak, and Inferior’?

Jay-Z Wearing Five Percent Nation Chain Medallion

New York, NY — Rapper Jay-Z is being criticized for wearing a medallion that bears a symbol of the Five Percent Nation, a Muslim group that believes that white people are “weak, wicked and inferior”. He was spotted wearing the chain while sitting courtside at a recent Brooklyn Nets game, and people all over the world are wondering why he is wearing such a symbol.

Founded in 1963, the Five Percent Nation was created by a man named Clarence Smith. He is a former student of Malcolm X, but he decided to separate from the Nation of Islam after they reportedly disagreed with his ideas. The name of the group is derived from the idea that only 5 percent of humanity know the truth about existence. They believe that they are “poor righteous teachers” that are supposed to enlighten the remaining 95 percent.

Jay-Z claims that he is not a member of the group. However, when asked by a reporter whether the medallion is meaningful to him, he reportedly shrugged and said “a little bit”. And this is not the first time, he’s been spotted wearing the chain. Just last year while promoting his album Magna Carta Holy Grail, he was seen wearing a similar medallion. And, in at least one of his songs on that album, he references the Five-Percenters acronym for ALLAH when he raps “Arm leg leg arm head”.

But, Saladin Allah, an official representative of the Five Percent Nation told the New York Post that “Jay-Z is not an active member.” He added, “No one has vouched for him… It was always understood that you don’t wear the ­regalia if you don’t totally subscribe to the life.”

Some Fans Are Upset

Jay-Z, like most rappers, have tons of white fans in the U.S. and abroad. Some are reportedly offended.

One person on DailyMail.cok.uk commented, “…for somebody who has made MILLIONS off of “white people”, he needs to watch who he offends.”

Another said, “Why is it ok for black people to be racist against white people?”

And yet another comment read, “They hang out with tons of white people so I wouldn’t think he was racist.”

But Jay-Z is not the only one

Other rappers/ rap groups that claim to be followers of the Five Percent Nation include Nas, Method Man, Redman, Wu Tang Clan, RZA, Busta Rhymes, Lord Jabar of Brand Nubian, and the late Ol’ Dirty Bastard.

 

SHARE THIS PAGE:


Get the Latest Black News and Press Releases In Your Email FREE


Your Email Address Here